Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Student FAQs - Vote Maine

Student FAQs

Have questions about voter registration or voting? Check out some frequently asked questions.

If you can’t find your answer, please reach out to our voter hotline via call or text the Voter Hotline at (207) 990-0788 or email us at [email protected]. We’re here to help 24/7!

I had to leave campus due to Covid-19 and don’t know when I’ll return. Am I still eligible to register and vote?

Yes, if you are temporarily absent from your Maine residence (on or off campus) and intend to return, you are eligible to keep your existing Maine registration and vote—or to register there, if you haven’t yet. You are not eligible if you have established residency somewhere new, for example by registering to vote in another municipality or state—or by settling elsewhere with the intent to remain there permanently

I was supposed to be on campus this fall for the first time but can’t be there yet due to Covid-19. Can I register to vote?

You should register where you are currently residing, as you have not yet established residency in Maine if you have not resided here.

Rather than staying in a normal dorm, my school assigned me to live in a hotel for the semester. What should I do?

You should register to vote with the hotel as your residence address, as the hotel is operating equivalently to a dorm for the purposes of your Maine residency. For Bates students, you can simply list the hotel address on your registration—you don’t need the room number

I requested an absentee ballot and my town clerk called or emailed me to ask if I have moved. What should I do?

If you have not moved—and are instead simply absent from your Maine address due to Covid-19 or another circumstance—tell them you are still a Maine resident and are simply requesting your ballot be sent to where you are temporarily residing. However, please also alert the Voter Hotline at (207) 990-0788 or [email protected]

I want to register and don’t have a Maine driver’s license or state ID—what should I do?

Many different documents besides a government ID can be used to show residency, including a lease, a bill, or a car registration that include your Maine address. If you don’t have anything official with your address, ask your clerk to let you sign an oath swearing that you live at your current Maine residence. You can also get further assistance through the Voter Hotline.

My school isn’t listed here, or I have a question not answered—can you help?

Absolutely. Call or text the Voter Hotline at (207) 990-0788 or email us at [email protected] We’re here to help 24/7!